The Early Years: Children’s Theater 1945
The first Children’s Theater summertime drama workshops were organized under the auspices of the City of San Diego Recreation Department by an advisory board of civic leaders and arts professionals. As most buildings in Balboa Park were still in use by the Navy, Roosevelt Junior High School was used for classes and rehearsals.
The Children’s Theater program was directed by sisters Lois Masterson De Lannoy and Beth Masterson, with assistance from members of the Footlights Theater group.
Lannoy and Masterson’s first productions were two one-act plays, performed by students of the workshop program.
Our 1944/1945 Season